SNA Future Leaders Program April 26-28, 2018 Long Beach, CaliforniaHeld in conjunction with National Leadership Conference (NLC), the SNA Future Leaders...
The 2010 Legislative Issue Paper focuses on several important areas SNA would like to see Congress address through the child nutrition reauthorization process. SNA’s top priorities include:
• Expand the “free” meal category from 130% of poverty to 185%, consistent with the WIC income eligibility guidelines. (Eliminating the reduced price meal category)
• Increase the per meal reimbursement for all meals in order to keep pace with rising costs and implementation of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
• Require the Secretary of Agriculture to establish a consistent national application of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, for all reimbursable meals, in accordance with recommendations of the Institute of Medicine (IOM), which benefited from SNA’s Recommendations for National Nutrition Standards.
• Grant the Secretary the statutory authority to regulate the sale of all foods and beverages on the school campus, consistent with the most recent edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, in accordance with SNA’s Recommendations for National Nutrition Standards and the recommendations of IOM (ending the “time and place” rule).
• Require the Secretary to determine which school expenses and indirect costs can be paid for with school food service funds.
To view a complete copy of the 2010 Legislative Issue Paper, click here